Frequently Asked Questions

Check out our FAQs

COVID-19: What Are You Covered For?

Yes, Your policy will cover you subject to the terms and conditions, if you need to cancel your trip because: 

You or a close relative are diagnosed with or have contracted COVID-19, providing it has been more than 48 hours since you purchased the policy. 

or You are required to self-isolate, subject to a positive test result/confirmation from a GP, or notification from the Track & Trace system and if someone you were due to travel with or stay with on your trip needs to self-isolate. 

Yes, cover is provided if you or your travel companion are denied boarding following either a COVID-19 diagnosis with an NHS or other government official test or receiving a temperature test reading or other medical test which falls outside of the transport provider’s terms of travel. 

Yes. This would be covered under medical expenses section of the policy. If medically necessary we will also arrange for you to be brought back home. 

Providing you aren’t travelling against the advice of Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or another regulatory authority 

Yes you are covered, If you contract coronavirus whilst on your trip, we will pay up (to the amount shown in the summary of cover) for costs incurred outside your home country that have been authorised by the emergency assistance company. 

Yes, if you develop COVID-19 whilst abroad your policy will cover you for emergency medical treatment, repatriation and other expenses and additional transport and accommodation if you are unable to return home as planned. 

Yes. This would be covered under medical expenses section of the policy. If medically necessary we will also arrange for you to be brought back home.

Providing you aren’t travelling against the advice of Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or another regulatory authority

Yes. Providing you aren’t travelling against the advice of Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or another regulatory authority then you are covered subject to the terms and conditions. 

No. We understand how this can make your trip less enjoyable and means you may incur additional costs, but unfortunately this wouldn’t be covered – as it’s still your choice whether to go or not. It’s usually worth speaking to your tour operator or travel provider to see if they can move your dates. 

No you are not covered, if you are unable to travel because the government/or another regulatory authority have imposed restrictions,including national lockdown or regional quarantine. 

No. If this happens, please contact your tour operator or travel provider for assistance. 

Policy changes and customer care

To contact our customer services team please call us on 01293 855 960
We are open :
Monday to Friday – 8:30am to 6pm
Saturday – 9am to 5pm
Sunday & Bank Holidays – Closed.

Your policy is sent to you automatically by email right after you buy your policy. It’s worth checking your junk or spam folder. 

If it’s not there, please contact our customer service department on 01293 855 960 to ascertain that your email address is correct and they will re-send to you. Alternatively, please get in touch via email at 

If you would like to amend your policy you can do so by contacting us at 01293 855 960 or speak to a member of our team via Live Chat here.

You are free to cancel this policy at any time. If you wish to cancel within 14 days of the policy purchase date or the receipt of the policy documents whichever is the later, you may do so by contacting us on 01293 855 960 or email us at or writing to us for a full refund providing you have not travelled and no claim has been made. 

If you cancel a Single Trip policy after the first 14 days of receipt of the documents you will receive a partial refund, providing you have not travelled, made a claim or intend to make a claim. 

If you cancel an Annual Multi-trip policy after the first 14 days of receipt (or after the renewal date) you will refund a portion of the premium depending on the number of complete months remaining on your policy providing you are not on a trip at the time the policy is cancelled and no claim has been made since the policy was issued or renewed. 

You can contact us at, or send your complaint via post to:. 

The Compliance Manager 
ROCK Insurance Group 
Griffin House 
135 High Street 
West Sussex 
RH0 1DQ 

For complaints about how an assistance case or claim has been handled please contact:. 

The Complaint Team 
AXA Partners 
The Quadrangle 
106-118 Station Road 
RH1 1PR 

Phone us: 02045 179 880 

If you are still unhappy about our service, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service: 

Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower 
Harbour Exchange Square 
E14 9SR 

We aim to deal with any complaint within 24 hours of receipt however we guarantee that you will be contacted by letter or telephone within 5 days of receipt of your complaint. This will either be a response to your complaint or if we are not able to respond at this time we will inform you of who is handling your complaint, and explain why we are unable to respond at this time. If after 4 weeks, we have still unable to resolve your complaint you will receive a further letter informing you of our progress.

If after a further 4 weeks we are still unable to resolve your complaint you will receive a letter explaining why we cannot respond to your complaint. We will indicate when we expect to respond and will provide details of your right to refer your complaint to The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR. Tel: 0800 023 4 567. Your statutory rights are not affected if you choose to follow any of the complaints procedures above. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority, Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Yes, if you want to upgrade your level of cover or upgrade your Single Trip policy to Annual Multi-Trip cover, we can help you with that. You can also upgrade your policy to a different geographical limit, add winter sports cover, cruise cover upon payment of additional premium subject to terms and conditions.

However once the policy has been purchased you are unable to downgrade cover, add an excess waiver or gadget cover to the policy.

Speak to a member of our team on 01293 855 960 or by Live Chat here.

Unfortunately, we can’t extend your policy for you whilst you are away. However the policy automatically extends if you need to extend your trip due to unforeseen reasons such as your return flight being cancelled, or if you fall ill and have to stay in hospital (provided the illness or injury is covered by your policy).

If you do not wish to have your annual multi-trip policy renewed please click here to opt out 

You can find full information about how we collect, store and use our customer data in our privacy policy. This explains what you’re rights are under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Buying your policy

Yes – the benefits are all per person, per claim, unless otherwise stated on your Policy Certificate. For example, there’s a maximum limit you can claim per single item if you make a claim for your baggage, and travel delay claims have a set limit per day. You can check exactly what’s covered in the Policy Wording here.

The excess is the amount you pay when you make a claim which is set out in the table of benefits. 

Where a claim is made for the same incident only one excess will apply per trip, per insured person (max 2). 

If you use a Reciprocal Health Arrangement, any other arrangement with another country or private medical insurance to reduce your medical expenses, you won’t have to pay an excess. 

Yes, our Annual Multi Trip policies have an upper age limit of 75, however we offer Single Trip policies for customers up to the age of 85.

An Annual Travel Insurance policy covers you for an unlimited amount of trips abroad throughout the year. The maximum length of these trips is 31 Days.
Cover is provided for the period of the trip and finishes when the trip ends, providing the trip doesn’t exceed the period shown in the policy schedule. Maximum trip limit available when purchasing a policy is 180 days if you are aged 64 and under or 92 days if you are aged between 65 and 75.

Taking out a couple or family travel insurance policy is cheaper – as we’re able offer you special discounted rates.

To buy a couple policy, you’ll need to either be married, in a civil partnership, or be common law partners (i.e. you live together as a couple at the same address, rather than as housemates).

With family travel insurance, you can include up to four dependent children or grandchildren, provided they’re all under 18 and in full time education.

Up to four dependent children or grandchildren under the age of 18 who are in full time education.

Unfortunately, we aren’t able to provide cover for a child on their own policy. They would need to be included on a family policy and travelling with one of the adults named on the policy. This can be either a grandparent or a parent.

Each adult is covered to travel independently. Children are not covered to travel independently and are only covered if they’re travelling with one of the adults named on your policy.

Yes, you’ll be covered if complications arise while you’re away, as long as you haven’t suffered from the complications before and you’re travelling within the guidelines of your travel provider (for example, most airlines have their own rules around the maximum number of weeks pregnant you can be if you fly with them).

There’s nothing you need to do – pregnancy doesn’t need to be declared on your travel insurance documents in the same way that an illness or pre-existing medical condition would.

A full list of the complications covered by the policy can be found under the of your policy wording titled ‘meaning of words’. These include for example, gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia, miscarriage and premature births more than 8 weeks from your due date (16 weeks for multiples).

Please enter your age at the time of purchase.

Your cancellation cover for any upcoming trips will start on the ‘start date’ you enter when you buy your policy. So if you’ve paid for a trip and need cover for cancellation costs, simply start your policy from today’s date.

We offer a 14 day cooling off period – so if you change your mind you can still cancel your policy and receive a full refund, provided you don’t intend to make a claim and have not travelled on the policy.

Our travel insurance offers cover for trips globally: from Europe to America, Africa to Asia. If you’re not entirely sure where your holiday destination falls under, then this is easily found out by simply by entering the name of the country into the travelling to box, or selecting either European or Worldwide regions. 

United Kingdom 

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. 


Albania, Andorra, Austria, the Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, the Channel Islands, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Greece (including the Greek Islands, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, the Faroe Islands, Finland (including Lapland), France, Gibraltar, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic), the Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia,Turkey, Ukraine and the Vatican City. 

Australia and New Zealand 

Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean 

Worldwide including USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean 

You would need to select the geographical limit that includes all of your destinations, so for example if you are travelling to Spain and then France you would select the European policy. However if you are going to Dubai and stopping off in Italy for a few days, you would need to purchase a Worldwide excluding USA. Canada, Caribbean and Mexico policy.

Single Trip – No Requirements 

Annual Multi-Trip – Where you have selected an Annual Multi-trip policy your policy is valid for UK travel where you have at least 2 nights pre-booked accommodation or pre-booked transport at least 50 miles from your home, or travelling abroad where the trip starts and finishes in your home area 

 Depending on which country or countries you’re visiting, you can select one of the following regions on the drop down menu: 

United Kingdom 


Australia and New Zealand 

Worldwide – excluding USA, Canada or the Caribbean 

Worldwide – including USA, Canada or the Caribbean 

Please check the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) before your trip here

Travel insurance provides benefits over and above the medical treatment costs that are covered by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Our policies are only available to residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man that are registered with a medical practitioner

People that reside in the UK and that they are registered with a GP in the UK. 

Unfortunately not. You must be a permanent resident of the UK to be eligible to purchase travel insurance from us. Your trip must also start and finish in the UK too. 

Unfortunately, our policies will not cover you if you’ve already left the UK.

For help with finding cover, the British Insurance Brokers Association can help you find local brokers who may be able to help with a tailored policy.

To add cover for working abroad, please include Sports and Activities Cover D when you get a quote. This will cover you under the terms of the policy while you’re in the workplace – for example if you have an accident at work, we’ll cover your medical bills.

The only type of work that wouldn’t be covered is manual labour involving tools or machinery, where you’re working at heights over 2 metres or with wild animals. But other jobs with physical aspects – like nursing or bar work – would be fine.

It’s worth bearing in mind that you won’t be covered for personal liability while you’re working –  if you have an employer, this would typically be covered by their own public liability cover in the workplace. If you’re self-employed, please check you have public liability cover in place that covers you abroad.

Our Backpacker policies can cover trips up to 552 days duration.

If you’re planning any adventurous activities while you’re away, many are covered as standard – including scuba diving up to 18 metres, white water rafting up to grade 3 rivers, paddleboarding* and hiking up to 4,000 metres. 

*No cover for personal liability, white water grade 4.

It’s worth noting that your cover ends once you land back in the UK. So if you’re planning to break up your trip with a hop back to the UK, you’ll need to take out separate insurance for each period of time you’re out of the country.

All limits are per insured person apart from Legal & Liability which are per policy. 

Before you go

Your policy documents were sent to you via email when you purchased. We also recommend taking printed copies of your Policy Certificate and Policy Wording with you when you go. They contain emergency phone numbers you might need while you’re away.   Having printed documents can also help you with receiving fast medical treatment, as you may be asked to produce your insurance documents by medical practices or hospitals abroad.

Single Trip – No, you will be covered from the date that you purchase your policy 

Annual Multi Trip – Yes, you will not be covered for cancellation before the start date for all Annual policy. 

Yes, you’d be covered to claim for cancellations costs if a close family member or person you’re travelling with falls ill before you go, provided the illness wasn’t known about before you bought your policy or paid for your trip (whichever is the later).

What medical circumstances would be considered if you make a claim are detailed on your policy wording, but for example this would include any pending medical investigations, or anything they’ve received prescribed medication for within the 90 days before your period of insurance starts.

No – Your airline should step in as they have a duty of care to help you. Under European Air Passenger Regulations any carrier licensed in an EU Country must offer you either a full refund or alternative flights. Check your rights on the Civil Aviation Authority website. 

If your carrier is not licensed in an EU country you may be covered under the Cancellation or Travel Disruption section of your policy. 

Renewing your Annual Multi-Trip policy

If you do not wish to have your annual multi-trip policy renewed, please visit to opt out. Log in by entering your policy number and email address.

While you're away

For policies purchased on or after the 11th July 2022, please call our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team: 

24/7 Assistance – 0204 517 9889 If you are calling from outside of the UK -+44 (0) 204 517 9889 

For policies purchased before the 11th July 2022, please call our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team:

+ 44 (0)1273 071784 or email

Unfortunately, you cannot be covered if you have already left the UK.

This is not a private health insurance policy. The Insurer will pay for private treatment only if there is no appropriate reciprocal health agreement in existence and no public service available and the Insurer reserves the right to organise a transfer from a private medical facility to a public medical facility where appropriate.

If you are taken/or go to a private medical facility, costs that arise will only be covered if you have contacted the emergency medical assistance company and any treatment has been authorised by them.

Firstly, please check your Policy Certificate and Policy Wording to see what’s covered under the Loss of Passport benefit of your policy.

You may be covered for the cost of obtaining an emergency travel document from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), along with travel and accommodation costs if you need to travel to get them. Please note however, that you will not be covered for the cost of the document itself.

Here’s what to do:

Report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police as soon as possible. You will need to obtain the crime reference details they provide for the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification form.

Next, to get the ball rolling with replacement documents, you will need to report your passport as lost or stolen on the FCDO website, or alternatively, give them a call on  +44 (0) 20 7008 1500. They’ll let you know where your local FCDO office is to collect your emergency travel document and how long it’s likely to take. You will need to pay for the document and claim it back from us once you’re back in the UK.

If you need to travel to collect your replacement document, remember to keep all receipts for travel and accommodation.

Once you’re home, please get in touch with our Claims team.

Firstly, check your Policy Certificate to see what’s covered, along with your Policy Wording.

To make a claim for your bag and its contents, you’ll need to obtain a written report from the police or relevant authority within 24 hours of it happening. This is essential to make a claim – without it the claims team cannot make any payment to you.

If you’ve lost money, please also keep receipts for any cash withdrawal you’ve made following the loss.

Once you’re back in the UK, please contact the Claims team.

All of our policies include airport lounge access for scheduled flight delays over 2 hours. So, if you’re facing a delay of over 2 hours, please call+ 44 (0)2380 177466 (open 24 hours), quoting your Policy Number and flight details. We’ll check availability and can send an airport lounge voucher to you via SMS.

Terms and conditions apply – for instance, the 2 hour delay must be announced in one go, not as a series of shorter delays. So please check your policy wording for full details.

If you haven’t claimed for the airport lounge benefit and your departure from the UK is delayed by 24 hours or more due to strike or industrial action, you will be covered for Travel Delay. This pays you up to the amount listed on your policy certificate for each 24 hour period of delay.

If you choose to abandon your trip after 24 hours delay, you can also claim under the Abandonment section of your policy. This will cover non-refundable travel and accommodation costs you’ve paid for your trip.

To claim, please make sure you obtain written confirmation of the delay from your airline or carrier.

Medical conditions

Any of the following medical conditions from which you have suffered from or received medical advice, 

  • treatment (including surgery, tests, investigations by your doctor/consultant /specialist) or prescribed drugs 
  • or medication in the last five years: 
  • Any cancer condition (including leukaemia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and any type of skin cancer), 
  • Any heart-related or blood circulatory condition (including high blood pressure and high cholesterol), 
  • Any diabetic condition, 
  • Any neurological condition (including stroke, brain haemorrhage, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and dementia), 
  • Any breathing condition (including asthma, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), 
  • Any renal, kidney or liver condition, 
  • Any psychiatric or psychological condition (including anxiety, stress and depression), 
  • Any chronic condition that can be controlled but not cured (including back pain, Crohn’s, diverticular and coeliac disease and ulcerative colitis), 


  • Any other medical condition for which you have been prescribed medication or which you have received or are waiting to receive treatment (including surgery, tests, or investigations) within the last 12 months. 

When applying for travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions you have to complete a medical screening, either online or over the phone. This is simply a set of questions related to the condition of your health, designed to ascertain the type and severity or risk of the pre-existing medical condition you have. 

Yes. If you have a pre-existing medical condition you will need to contact the Medical Screening team to declare your conditions. You can contact them on : 

Medical Screening – 01293 855 960 

Your pre-existing medical conditions will not be covered unless you have declared all conditions, received acceptance of this in writing, and paid an additional premium (where applicable). 

Sports, activities and working abroad

A wide range of sports and activities are covered as standard on all of the policies at no additional cost as long as you are participating on a recreational and non-professional basis during any trip and you are following local laws and regulations and using any recommended safety equipment. 

A full list of sports covered as standard and any exclusions can be found in the policy booklets under “Sport and Other Activities”. You should check this list to ensure you are covered before participating. 

Winter Sports Cover may be available to purchase at extra cost to provide more cover for those specific sports trips. 

Limits, excesses and exclusions apply, For full details please refer to your policy booklet.

If you have purchased Standard, Premier or Premier Plus cover then your policy can be extended to include Cruise Cover which includes missed port departure, itinerary change, cabin confinement and  unused excursions, subject to terms and conditions.If you have purchased this cover it will be shown on your policy schedule. 

Personal accident – This is a lump-sum payment made to you if you suffer a permanent disability or death as a result of an accident. It’s worth noting that you’ll still be covered for medical costs under the terms and conditions of your policy,

Personal liability – This is costs to cover you if you become liable for accidentally injuring someone, or causing accidental loss or damage to their property.

We recommend contacting the organiser to check what insurance they have in place. You may be covered by the organiser’s third party insurance, or it may be possible to find cover through a specialist provider for your particular sport.

Yes, you are covered for scuba diving up to a depth of 18 metres at no extra cost on our policies.

If you plan to dive deeper, you can add on extra cover to insure you up to 30m provided you are a BSAC, PADI, DIWA, SSI or SAA member. Please note that terms and conditions apply for this more advanced level of cover – so please take a look at our Policy Wording here under special sports and activities table A.

You can be covered for winter sports up to age 65 with our policies.

Please check your policy wording for a full list of winter sports activities that are covered if you have paid the additional Winter Sports premium. 

If you are participating in a sport or activity that you do not see listed in the policy wording then please contact us on 01293 855 960. 

Single Trip policies: If you include Winter Sports cover on our single trip policies, you’re covered to hit the slopes every day of your trip.

Annual Multi-Trip policies: Adding Winter Sports cover to Annual  travel insurance will cover you for a maximum 17 days per year. These are the total number of days for your winter sports trip(s), rather than the number of days you’re on the slopes.

Yes, when you add Winter Sports to your policy it will cover you both on-piste and off-piste, provided you’re within local ski patrol guidelines or within recognised and authorised areas.

Yes, if your ski or snowboard equipment is delayed by at least 12 hours, we’ll cover you for the cost of hiring replacements until yours turn up.

If you need to make a claim – contact your airline to obtain a property irregularity report, and keep all receipts from the rental shop. You can then submit your claim once you’re back in the UK.

Yes provided you have paid the additional winter sports premium, to the amounts outlined in your policy wording.


For policies purchased on or after the 11th July 2022:

If you need to make a Travel Claim:

Submit your claim online by clicking here, or please call 0204 517 9889 Open Monday to Friday – 09:00 to 17:00 

If you need to make a Gadget Claim:

Please call 0330 053 1836 Open Monday to Saturday – 09.00 to 17.30 

For policies purchased before the 11th July 2022, please make a claim through:

Submit a claim online at or call 01420 259 048

Gadget insurance

Gadget Travel Insurance is designed to cover personal (portable) electronic gadgets and communication devices you carry with you on holiday subject to a maximum age of 5 years of age and laptops up to a maximum of 18 months old. 

Accidental Loss, Theft, Mechanical Breakdown (excluding Laptops) and Damage. 

I can't find the answer to my question

If you can’t find the answer to your question in these FAQs, please contact us on 01293 855 960 or by email at

Sign up to our newsletter

By clicking SIGN UP you are consenting to receive information and promotions from us (e.g. periodic newsletters, communications on new products or services, updates on market developments). Occasionally these will contain advertisements from trusted partners. However, we will never give, sell or rent your e-mail to any other companies. If you want to stop receiving our free emails you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of each email. For further information see our privacy policy.